5 Tips to Help You Through Your Workers' Comp Claim
Workers’ compensation exists to protect employees who become injured during the course of their work duties. However, the workers’ compensation system can be complicated, and in some cases it may be difficult for injured people to obtain fair compensation for their injuries. In order to help you avoid this, we have put together a list of tips to protect and guide you through your claim and potentially increase your chance of favorable results.
The following tips can help you through the workers’ compensation process:
- Report your injury as soon as possible. In South Carolina, you have 90 days to report your injury, so do not delay making your report or you may lose your right to claim benefits. Be sure to inform your employer as soon as possible.
- Send in your claim form. If your employer does not file the claim on your behalf, you can submit a claim by filling out a Form 50 or Form 52. Both are available for download on the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission website.
- Seek medical treatment. It is important to see a doctor as soon as possible, as any delay may be construed as evidence that you aren’t really injured. When you see your doctor, be clear that your injury was obtained at work and be sure to inform your doctor of all of your symptoms. The information they provide could directly impact the amount of benefits you receive, so be thorough.
- Do not lie about your injuries. Workers’ compensation fraud is a criminal offense that is punishable by fines and jail time, so never lie about your injuries or their severity in an effort to fraudulently obtain benefits.
- Get in touch with an attorney. You have the right to hire an attorney who can represent you throughout your workers’ compensation case. If you have suffered a significant work-related injury or if there is a dispute regarding the validity of your claim, it may be in your best interest to hire an attorney who can explain your rights and fight for fair compensation on your behalf.
Traywick Law Offices is committed to protecting the rights of injured people in Charleston, South Carolina. We handle workers’ compensation claims, appeals, and hearings to help our clients achieve favorable results. Call our office today at (843) 343-5092 to schedule a free case review and to learn more about how we can assist you.