Halloween Safety Tips for Kids & Adults
Halloween is only 10 days away and kids and adults alike are getting ready for the festivities. While Halloween is a fun holiday, statistics show that it is also one of the most dangerous – in fact, pedestrian accidents and drunk driving accidents significantly increase on Halloween night. Traywick Law Offices believes that safety should be a top priority at Halloween. In order to help you and your loved ones avoid injury, we have put together a list of safety tips for you to consider.
- Choose comfortable, well-fitting costumes that won’t restrict movement, sight, or present a tripping hazard.
- Be mindful that some costume accessories may not be suitable for young children. A play sword or other object could end up causing injury.
- Instruct your kids to stay on the sidewalk and never to dart out into the street.
- Increase your child’s visibility by adding glow sticks of reflective tape to their costumes. It is also a good idea to carry a flashlight.
- Always chaperone young trick-or-treaters. If you feel comfortable allowing your older children to trick-or-treat unchaperoned, make sure that they have a cell phone and know who to call in case they need help.
- If you plan on attending a Halloween party where alcohol will be served, make sure to designate a driver.
- Use only tools specially designed for pumpkin carving when making your jack-o-lanterns. Kitchen knives can be more difficult and dangerous to use for this task.
- Using novelty makeup for your costume? The FDA recommends testing the product on an arm or leg before applying to the face, as these products contain ingredients that may cause allergic reactions.
- Before trick-or-treaters begin to arrive, check your property for any hazards. Be sure to place pumpkins away from the path to your door and if possible, use battery-operated lights instead of lit candles.
We hope you and your family enjoy a safe and happy Halloween!
Traywick Law Offices is a personal injury law firm in Charleston, SC. If you have been injured and would like more information on your legal rights, contact us today to schedule a complimentary consultation.